Apply to be a Maker Educator at the Newark Museum
Position Title: Part Time MakerSPACE Educator
Reporting Relationship: Reports to MakerSPACE Manager
Opening Date: September 30, 2016
Closing Date: October 14, 2016
Under the supervision of the MakerSPACE Manager, the MakerSPACE Educator will be responsible for delivering youth, family, and adult ‘maker’ programs connected to the Museum’s collections. The MakerSPACE Educator will also assist in developing innovative and experimental uses of the MakerSPACE in connection to the whole Museum.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Museum’s education department in designing and planning creative hands-on ‘maker’ lessons and programs for children, families, and adults.
- Welcome and engage visitors to the MakerSPACE including facilitating drop-in activities and hands-on interactives.
- Lead formal and informal program and activities in the Museum’s MakerSPACE, including drop-in activities, community events, workshops, and school programs.
- Conduct research on the museum’s collections, exhibitions and MakerSPACE applications.
- Document projects using photography, video and writing.
- Work with the Director of Interpretation and Evaluation to evaluate and assess maker activities using provided observational rubrics and structured formal and informal interviews.
- Facilitate the operation of tools and maintain a safe environment for visitors.
- Maintain tools in proper working and safe condition including Mill, lathe, CNC Router, Laser cutter, 3D printers and more.
- Keep up-to-date inventory or supplies and materials and maintain organization of inventory.
- Working toward or holding a Bachelor’s Degree in education, art, technology or related field.
- Knowledge of art, science, technology, and computer science.
- One or more years’ experience working with children in an educational setting, i.e., school teacher, enrichment program, after-school programs, and summer camp.
- Familiarity with project-based learning and child development.
- Strong communication skills.
- Familiarity with specialized MakerSPACE equipment, like 3D printers, computer programming and Arduino microcontrollers.
Send letter of application and resume to:
49 Washington Street
Newark, NJ 07102